Kinky Curly Curling Custard Alternative

Update: Here is a free curling pudding recipe that has only 3 ingredients, can be prepared in just a few minutes, and some say it is just as good as the expensive curly puddings on the market today.
I have been searching for a Kinky Curly Curling Custard alternative. I bought the original product and I like how it makes my natural hair pop. At first the product made my hair extremely crunchy. But then I did some research online and found out that a little goes a long way. Since then I began using it sparingly and the product has lasted a long time. I still have a little over half a jar but I'm already wondering what I'm going to do when the jar is empty. The product is well worth the price but it would be great if there was a more economical homemade pudding.

I know, I know. Hair products can be expensive, especially natural hair care products. I have been wanting to try Miss Jessie's puddings for years now. But I refuse to pay over $40 (after shipping) for 16 ounces of a hair product. I don't care how good it is. I know there's a smaller size available now. But I'm still not OK with the price. I wasn't really alright with the price of the KCCC. But it was less than MJ so I decided to go for it.

Anyway, I am extremely frugal. I accepted that fact about myself a long time ago. If there's a less expensive alternative out there then I will give it a try. So I was thrilled when I found a recipe for homemade curly pudding. I love that Shae said that it's "curly pudding for the financially challenged." :)

I don't have any of the ingredients needed for the pudding, except the EVOO. So the initial cost might be a bit much, especially since I need to go with the recipe that gives extra moisture.

Let me do some math here.

IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel, 16 oz - $3.99 ( + $0.33 tax) at Walgreens
Aloe Vera gel, 16 oz. - $5.99 ( + $0.49 tax) at Walgreens
Raw shea butter, 16 oz. - $10.78 at Amazon (shipping charges included in total)
EVOO - already have
Vitamin E oil, 2.5 oz. - $4.99 ( + $0.41 tax) at Walgreens

OK. So initially, I am going to have to invest $26.98. Actually, I'll use a $5 Amazon gift certificate that I earned from doing searches on Swagbucks. So, I'm down to $21.98. Now let's see how much it cost to make one batch of the hair pudding.

16 oz. IC gel = $4.32
4 oz Aloe Vera gel = $1.62
4 oz. shea butter = $1.45
1 oz. EVOO = $0
1 oz. vitamin e oil = $2.70

So I am looking at a grand total of $10.09. This recipe will produce 26 oz of curly custard alternative. So we're talking about $0.39 per ounce for the homemade curly pudding. The KCCC 16 oz jar is $1.87/oz (not including shipping and possibly tax). And MJ's 16 oz pudding is $2.38/oz (not including shipping and possibly tax). Even if you take advantage of MJ's BYG1F Christmas deal, you are still looking at $1.19/oz.

Wow! I had no idea the savings for a homemade kinky curly recipe would be so large. I will definitely make the necessary purchases within the next week and give it a try.

3 comments: